The 2023 GR Corolla is a sporty hatchback that can handle any road condition. The first GR model is based on a Toyota vehicle, it has many performance improvements that make it a hot hatch contender. Before buying a 2023 GR Corolla, check out these crucial features and characteristics.
2023 GR Corolla Price in US
The 2023 GR Corolla has a starting MSRP of $35,900, which is quite competitive for a car with 300 horsepower and all-wheel drive. There are three trim levels available: the base GR Corolla, the Circuit Edition and the Morizo Edition. The Circuit Edition adds some extra features such as BBS forged wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, Recaro sport seats and a carbon fiber roof for $39,900¹. The Morizo Edition is a limited-run model that comes with an exclusive matte black paint job, red accents and a numbered plaque for $42,900.
The official EPA ratings for the 2023 GR Corolla have not been released yet. But we can expect them to be similar to the GR Yaris, which is not sold in the US but shares the same engine and drivetrain. For a high-performance car, the GR Yaris gets 34.3 (UK) or 28.6 (US) mpg. However, your mileage may vary depending on how you drive and what mode you select.
2023 GR Corolla Engine
The 2023 GR Corolla’s turbocharged 1.6-litre three-cylinder engine generates 300 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. The world’s most powerful three-cylinder engine offers the GR Corolla a power-to-weight ratio of 10.7 pounds per horsepower3. A sophisticated rev-matching system smooths gear shifts in the six-speed manual transmission1. There is no automatic option available, which might disappoint some buyers who prefer convenience over engagement.
Read This : 2024 Toyota Crown: A Perfect Premium Sedan
Dimensions of 2023 GR Corolla
The 2023 GR Corolla is based on the Corolla hatchback, but it has some subtle differences in its dimensions. The GR Corolla is somewhat longer (172.8 inches vs 172 inches), wider (70.5 inches vs 70.1 inches), and lower (56.5 inches vs 57.1 inches) than the conventional hatchback2. The wheelbase remains the same at 103.9 inches. The GR Corolla also has a more aggressive stance with wider fenders, larger air intakes and a rear spoiler.
The 2023 GR Corolla has a decent amount of boot space for a hatchback, with 17.8 cubic feet of cargo volume behind the rear seats². This is slightly less than the regular Corolla hatchback, which has 18 cubic feet of cargo volume. The Hyundai Veloster N (19.9 cubic feet) and Honda Civic Type R (25.7 cubic feet) have less room than the GR Corolla.
The 2023 GR Corolla comes with a comprehensive suite of safety features that include:
Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0), which comprises Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA), Automatic High Beams (AHB), Road Sign Assist (RSA), Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) and Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Star Safety SystemTM includes VSC, TRAC, ABS, EBD, BA, and SST.
- Eight airbags: driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, seat-mounted side airbags, driver knee airbag, front passenger seat cushion airbag, and front and rear side curtain airbags.
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
The 2023 GR Corolla has a distinctive exterior look that sets it apart from the regular Corolla hatchback. Some of the exterior features that enhance its sporty appearance are:
- GR-specific front bumper with large air intakes and a honeycomb grille
- GR-specific rear bumper with a diffuser and a triple-outlet exhaust
- GR-specific side skirts and fender flares
- GR-specific 18-inch alloy wheels with red brake calipers
- GR-specific LED headlights and taillights
- GR-specific badges and decals
The 2023 GR Corolla has a cabin that reflects its performance-oriented nature. Some of the interior features that make it a comfortable and enjoyable place to be are:
- GR-specific sport seats with leather and Ultrasuede® trim and red stitching
- GR-specific leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching and paddle shifters
- GR-specific leather-wrapped shift knob with red stitching
- GR-specific instrument cluster with a 7-inch TFT display and a GR startup animation
- GR-specific aluminum pedals
- 8-inch touchscreen multimedia system with Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto Amazon Music, SiriusXM and six speakers
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with rear-seat vents
- Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging
To give you a quick overview of how the 2023 GR Corolla compares to some of its competitors, here is a table that summarizes some of the key specs and features of each car.
|Model||Price||Engine||Power||Torque||Transmission||Drivetrain||0-60 mph||Top Speed||Fuel Economy||Cargo Volume|
|2023 Toyota GR Corolla||$35,900 – $42,900||1.6L Turbo I3||300 hp||273 lb-ft||6-speed manual||AWD||N/A||N/A||N/A||17.8 cu ft|
|2022 Hyundai Veloster N||$33,750 – $35,750||2.0L Turbo I4||275 hp||260 lb-ft||6-speed manual or 8-speed DCT||FWD||5.6 sec (DCT) or 5.9 sec (manual)||155 mph||22/28/25 mpg (DCT) or 21/28/24 mpg (manual)||19.9 cu ft|
|2022 Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition (discontinued)||$44,950 (est.)||2.0L Turbo I4||306 hp||295 lb-ft||6-speed manual||FWD||5.0 sec (est.)||N/A (est.)||N/A (est.)||25.7 cu ft|
The 2023 GR Corolla is a hot hatchback that offers a lot of performance, fun and practicality for a reasonable price. It has a powerful turbocharged engine, a manual transmission, an all-wheel drive system and a host of safety and convenience features. It also has a unique exterior and interior design that reflects its racing heritage. If you are looking for a car that can spice up your daily commute and also handle some track action, the 2023 GR Corolla might be the one for you.