Tata Motors, a prominent player in India’s automotive industry, has recently taken the wraps off its futuristic electric SUV coupe, the Tata Curvv EV concept. This innovative vehicle not only introduces the brand’s ‘Digital’ design language but also showcases the prowess of Tata’s Generation 2 EV platform. Anticipated to hit the market by March 2024, the CURVV will enter the arena of mid-size SUVs. In this comprehensive article, we delve into the key features, specifications, and estimated prices of the Tata Curvv EV.
The Tata Curvv EV boasts several noteworthy features:
- Dynamic SUV Typology: Merging the robustness of an SUV with the elegant sportiness of a Coupe.
- Charismatic Exterior Design: Highlights include a raised ride height, tough cladding, slim upper DRL, triangular headlamp design, signature LED lamps, horizontal light bar, grooved pattern on the front lower bumper, and aero blade wheels.
- Spacious Interior: Two-spoke steering wheel, new infotainment screen, digital driver’s display, panoramic glass roof, and premium materials.
- Ziptron EV Powertrain: Offers an impressive range of 400-500 km on a single charge and quick charging in under an hour.
- Gen2 Platform: Ensures compatibility with different body styles and powertrains, emphasizing safety and performance.
Tata Curvv EV Dimensions
While precise dimensions are yet to be disclosed, estimates based on the Auto Expo 2022 concept suggest a length of approximately 4.3 meters, a width of around 1.8 meters, and a height of about 1.6 meters. The wheelbase is projected to be around 2.6 meters, promising ample space for occupants.
Though the exact boot space remains undisclosed, expectations hover around 400 litres, aligning with mid-size SUV standards. Additionally, the rear seats may be foldable, providing flexibility for expanding cargo space.
The Tata Curvv EV is anticipated to offer a ground clearance of approximately 200 mm, ensuring its capability to navigate rough terrains with ease and enhancing its SUV-like stance.
As a five-seater compact SUV-coupe, the Tata Curvv promises a comfortable and adjustable front seat configuration. The rear seats may feature a 60:40 split, offering flexibility, while the panoramic glass roof enhances the sense of space and natural light.
Tata Curvv EV Range
Impressively, the Tata Curvv EV boasts a range of 400-500 km on a single charge, a noteworthy feat in its segment. The actual range will vary based on driving conditions, mode selections, and battery health.
While specifics about the battery remain undisclosed, it is presumed to utilize a lithium-ion pack powering the Ziptron EV powertrain. Positioned beneath the vehicle floor, the battery pack prioritizes a lower center of gravity, improving handling and stability, and is shielded by a robust steel casing.
Charging times are contingent on charger type and power. Tata Motors claims fast-charging capability in under an hour, potentially utilizing a 50 kW or higher DC fast charger. The CURVV concept may also support AC normal charging at around 7 kW, requiring 8-10 hours for a full charge.
Built on Tata’s Generation 2 EV platform, a modified version of the Nexon’s platform, the CURVV concept incorporates advanced technologies such as regenerative braking, hill descent control, traction control system, and more.
While details about the suspension system remain undisclosed, expectations align with a setup similar to the Nexon, offering a balance between ride comfort and handling.
Specifics regarding the braking system are yet to be revealed, but expectations lean towards disc brakes on all four wheels, supported by features like regenerative braking and various control systems for enhanced performance.
Tata Curvv EV Top Speed
The top speed of the Tata Curvv EV is yet to be announced, but an estimate places it around 160 km/h, subject to driving mode selections and electronic speed limiter considerations.
Tata Curvv EV Interior Features
The interior of the Tata Curvv EV promises a spacious and technology-rich experience, featuring:
- A two-spoke steering wheel with mounted controls.
- A new infotainment screen supporting Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, navigation, and voice commands.
- A digital driver’s display showcasing vital information.
- A panoramic glass roof for a sense of freedom and natural light.
- A climate control system and wireless charging pad.
- A Harman Kardon sound system for an immersive audio experience.
- Additional conveniences like a smart key, push-button start/stop, and a multi-functional center console.
The exterior design of the Tata Curvv stands out with its charismatic features, aligning with the brand’s ‘Digital’ design language:
- Dynamic and modern SUV typology with a Coupe silhouette.
- Raised ride height, tough cladding, slim upper DRL, triangular headlamp design.
- Signature LED lamps, horizontal light bar, grooved pattern on the front lower bumper.
- Aero blade design on the wheels, floating bonnet, and C-pillar, enhancing aerodynamics and style.
- Split rear spoiler for a sporty profile and increased stability at high speeds.
While specific safety features are yet to be disclosed, Tata’s reputation for high safety standards suggests the Tata Curvv will likely include:
- High-strength steel body structure for impact absorption.
- Battery protection with a steel casing.
- Airbags for driver and front passenger, along with side curtain airbags.
- Seat belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters.
- ISOFIX child seat anchors.
- Rear parking camera with dynamic guideways.
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
Tata Motors, renowned for sturdy and durable vehicles, is expected to uphold high build quality standards for the CURVV concept. The vehicle will benefit from the robust Gen2 platform and employ premium materials for a refined feel.
Crash Test Ratings
Though specific crash test ratings are unavailable during the concept stage, the CURVV concept is expected to maintain Tata’s legacy of achieving high safety ratings. Similar models, such as the Tata Nexon, have secured a 5-star rating from Global NCAP, attesting to the brand’s commitment to safety.
While official color options are yet to be confirmed, the concept vehicle displayed at Auto Expo 2022 suggests a metallic blue with silver accents. Additional color choices may include white, black, red, catering to diverse preferences.
Variant details are pending, but expectations lean towards at least two options: a base variant and a top variant. Features may include LED headlamps, DRLs, alloy wheels, a digital driver’s display, an infotainment screen, climate control, wireless charging, and a Harman Kardon sound system. The top variant may add features like a panoramic glass roof, rear parking camera with dynamic guideways, and leather seats.
Tata Curvv Price in India
While the exact pricing details are undisclosed, an estimated range of Rs. 15-20 lakhs aligns with mid-size SUV benchmarks. Prices may vary based on the chosen variant and other factors such as taxes, subsidies, and incentives.
The Tata Curvv EV represents a bold leap into the future, embodying Tata’s new ‘Digital’ design language and leveraging the Generation 2 EV platform. Its dynamic exterior design, spacious and technologically advanced interior, impressive range, and robust safety features position it as a formidable competitor in the mid-size SUV segment. Expected to hit the market by March 2024, the CURVV concept is set to redefine the electric vehicle landscape.
Tata Curvv EV Specifications
|Length: ~4.3 m; Width: ~1.8 m; Height: ~1.6 m; Wheelbase: ~2.6 m
|<1 hour (fast charging); 8-10 hours (normal charging)
|Front: Independent MacPherson strut with coil spring and anti-roll bar; Rear: Twist beam with coil spring and shock absorber
|Disc brakes on all four wheels
|Metallic blue with silver accents (concept); Other options possible
|Variants wise Price in India
|Rs. 15-20 lakhs (estimated)
Q: When will the Tata Curvv EV be launched in India?
A: The Tata Curvv EV is expected to be launched in India by March 2024.
Q: What are the competitors of the Tata Curvv EV in India?
A: The Tata Curvv EV will compete with other mid-size SUVs in India, such as Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, MG Hector, etc.
Q: What are the benefits of buying an electric vehicle in India?
A: Some benefits include lower running and maintenance costs, reduced emissions and noise pollution, eligibility for various subsidies, incentives, and tax benefits, and access to dedicated parking and charging facilities.
Q: How can I charge the Tata Curvv EV in India?
A: The Tata Curvv EV can be charged using either a fast charger or a normal charger. Fast charging takes less than an hour, while normal charging takes 8-10 hours.
Q: How can I book the Tata Curvv EV in India?
A: To book the Tata Curvv EV, visit the official Tata Motors website or contact your nearest Tata Motors dealer. Pay a refundable booking amount of Rs. 21,000, choose your preferred variant and color, and receive a confirmation message and invoice. Pay the remaining amount at the time of delivery.